Wednesday, July 15, 2009

TO TIE...OR NOT TO TIE...

This would be Jim during his 'recovery'...:)

THAT, is the question! Basically it's time to decide who is going to get 'fixed'. I've been on BCP for years now, and I'm tired of it! So the question remained "do I get surgery or does he get surgery?" Quite frankly, after all I've been thru carrying and giving birth TWICE, I vote for HIM to get surgery...and here's WHY:
FACTS:
The failure rate of birth control pill is up to 30 per 1000.
The failure rate of tubal ligation is up to 4 per 1000.
The failure rate of vasectomy is only 1 to 3 per 1000.
The cost of birth control pill averages $30 per month. If you are paying for this out of pocket, that is significant, especially considering that vasectomy is usually covered by insurance. If it is not covered, paying out of pocket for vasectomy pays for itself in eighteen to twenty-one months.
Vasectomy is a procedure that can be done in the office under local anesthesia, but tubal ligation requires the woman to be hospitalized and is done under general or spinal anesthesia, therefore it is much easier for the man to undergo vasectomy than it is for the woman to undergo tubal ligation.
The cost of tubal ligation is $2000-$4000 versus the cost of a Vasectomy at $500-$1000.

DO THE MATH...Makes perfect sense to me!!!! He goes to his doc next week to talk it over...that is a step closer than I could have expected, so I will take it!! AND, I promised to baby him while he recovers (MEN)! All he needs is the remote and he's a happy camper!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even read this whole post, until I had decided it's him. Not you! Much more involved and much longer recovery for you. It's a NO BRAINER!

Good luck!

MO said...

Thx K...I definitely agree...:)

Anonymous said...

Wayne got it done and it was a piece of cake. No problems and a fast recovery. He went in on a Friday and had the weekend to recover and was back to work on Monday. We had a great dr. Let me know if you want any of the info. He is taking a great step by going to dr to discuss it. Go 4 it!

Lorrie

MO said...

Thx Lorrie...It is good to know it was not too painful for them...:)