Thursday, April 8, 2010

Scrap That!!

I'm a die-hard scrapple fan...a very picky one too!  I only like Habberset scrapple.  I grew up eating scrapple every Sunday with my family and we've tried them ALL...and Habberset, hands-down, is #1 in my book. 

So I read the article below, and I'm not so sure I will like this new concoction...why mess with perfection!  I do like oysters, but I guess I'll have to try it and see how I like it...I am willing to give it a fair share trial!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just when you think you’ve heard it all, a Philadelphia restaurant is selling what they believe is soon to become a breakfast classic – Oyster Scrapple.




And that’s no yolk.



Scrapple, as diehard fans know, is a regional breakfast meat where leftover pig parts – skin, heart, snouts (basically everything but the oink) – is cooked and blended with cornmeal, pork broth and seasonings into a mush. The mush is packed into loaf pans, cooled and then sliced and fried until crispy.



Either you love it, or hate-it. There’s usually no scrapple middle ground.



The Oyster House, a raw bar and restaurant at 1516 Sansom St. (215) 567-7683, owned by Sam Mink, recently unveiled a Saturday brunch menu that includes the breakfast meat, but the kitchen subs oysters for the usual pork scraps.



The $4 oyster scrapple is seasoned with fennel seed and cayenne pepper, blended with buckwheat and cornmeal, then cooked polenta-style in oyster juices. The pan-fried dish, touched with sea salt, is crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.



Visit www.oysterhousephilly.com for more information.

No comments: